Sunday, April 17, 2011

Running...and other things.

I have finally started working out again. It's been awhile since I've made a consistent effort into actually scheduling it into my day. I find that life, as wonderful as it is, is always going to be busy, and wether I am working one job, two jobs, or no jobs...there is ALWAYS an excuse to not make excersizing, or my health a priority.

Over the past few months, (since January to be exact) the Lord has really impressed upon my heart the need for balance. It is so easy for my life to get out of balance in all areas, that eventually, everything gives way and I have a melt down. Since then, I have been implementing all sorts of "healthy" choices into my day to day routine. From dietary, to spiritual, to personal. It has been difficult, but awesome. It amazes me just how faithful the Lord is in my life...in our lives. I love how he loves me, simple as that.

So, here I am...adding another item to my day. Sometimes it amazes me just how much I do...I don't say this to brag or pat myself on the back...but I really do alot!! Being married and taking good care of a home and all the chores that entails, two pets and a husband along with working a bit more than full time...then adding in alone time, friend time, husband time, excersize, quiet time and on and on. And I don't even have kids yet...sheesh. Woman are amazing...mothers especially!!

Back to running- I started three weeks ago...5 times a week. Two weeks ago, I started (with an official conditioning guide) training for a 5k. So here I am, heading into my fourth week, and it has been AWESOME. I feel better, look better, have more energy and am loving it. I love conditioning my body. I love to see how strong it really is. Today I picked up a book on running called "The Complete Book of Running for Women". Here are just a few benefits I have learned since opening it up...

-Running is the quickest and most efficient means of weight loss
-Running reduces your risk of cardiovascular disease, the number one killer of women
-Running lowers your heart rate and blood pressure
-Running reduces your risk of stroke, the second leading killer of women
-Running lowers your risk of breast cancer (yes and amen!)
-Running enhances your immune system
-Running helps keep your intestinal tract in good working order
-Running enhances your respiratory system
-Running may reduce the symptoms of premenstrual syndrome
-Running improves your health and well being DURING pregnancy
-Running may reduce the symptoms of menopause
-Running prevents muscle and bone loss that occurs with age
-Running is good for your joints
-Running helps prevent a decline in reaction time
-Running leads to a long and happy life

So, the question is...why NOT run!? Well, it's still early in the game...but getting healthy makes me feel so good. Part of my motivation to begin with was to be nice and fit for our move to Maine...because once there, being actively outdoors will be a part of most, if not all of my days. So much to look forward to...cheers to a good run, and the future:)

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Ballewbear said...

Well, I know for me, and many other people I know, running is ideal. I don't think it's for everyone...of course not. I do have pregnant friends that still do quite a bit (miles) of running...but are not more than 6 months...and they do love it:) Yes, walking is good, but as far as I've researched, running does not have all the negative affects on joints that people like to think...it's the opposite actually (if your doing it correctly). Of course, like i said, not for everyone, this post wasn't to say everyone should run...it was, really, more for myself. I know you have some issues with your joints, and can't imagine how running would make them feel:( Thanks for you insight, but for me this works!

April 18, 2011 at 1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think its AMAZING that your running with everything you do. And still do everything with grace and excellence!! WHOA! I wish i was a better friend and say i would run with you, but lets be real……i hate running…… LOL I love you and miss you. I know your busy but you need to come see me and my kiddos! Esp before you leave! :)
Ash

May 9, 2011 at 8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home