Thursday, August 10, 2006

My Yukon

So, almost two months ago now, I came to the tough decision that I had to find a home for my dog:( This has been a really tough time for me...though on the outside, I'm sure no one knows it. I just thought I'd share some things from our time together:)

I rescued Yukon from the pound about seven years ago. I had just lost my first dog, (keesha) to kidney failure and was grieving that loss. I couldn't imagine coming home everyday to an empty yard, or look at the empty spot beside my bed. I decided to go down to the shelter just to look around. When I got there, I saw Yukon. She was in a cage with 6 other dogs, she was laying on the ground, barely able to move. All the other dogs were jumping on her, eager for attention from anyone walking by. Her eyes were dull, and she was emaciated. I remember thinking, "this dog is dieing...and no one is doing anything about it??" My heart went out to her, and I knew I couldn't leave without her. I filled out all the paperwork, and was told to come back the next day to pick her up.

The next day I came to pick Yukon up, she was so weak she could barely walk, and on top of being sick, she had just endured a spay. We carried her to the car, and an attendent there informed us that if she were to die, we were to bring back the body and they would issue me a credit towards another dog. That made my stomach turn. We got Yukon home, and she just laid in her bed, she wouldnt eat or drink. We took her to the emergency room as she had continuously gotten weaker with each passing day. After some fluid therapy and a bit of medication we took her home. For the next few weeks, I fed her gerber baby food through a syringe, and some pedialite every two hours. As time went on, she gained strenght. I woke up one morning to Yukon digging holes in the yard and tearing up all her toys, thats when I knew she'd be ok:)

Since that lovely morning when I awoke to her distruction...she has not changed. She has been a true terror...and a delight all at the same time. I have never dealt with a more stubborn, obnoxious, quirky, off the wall energy dog in all my life! I have also never laughed so much, and had soo much fun. She is really the reason that I became so active in the outdoors. We hiked, biked, camped and best of all, kayaked together...she was a super kayaking companion. She was a great road trip companion, and moving companion. She steered me and my brother clear of mountain lions many a time...and has had to be our eyes in the dark when we were stupid enough to forget flashlights on a long hike. I have lots of pictures and great memories of us together:) I miss her dearly, and still can't believe I will never get to experience all those things with her again:( I know reality will eventually set in. But for now, it trickles in here and there, followed by a wave of sorrow, loss and dissapointment with myself. Dissapointment for not being her forever home and not being the one that could always provide the life she needed and deserved.

She has found a home now...a home with a loving family....and kid's to play with!I'm sure she is on cloud 9!! She deserves the best, and she finally has it:) I owe her alot...she will always be in my heart and on my mind...My Yukon.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home